Brennan: Murkowski showed great courage

By Tom Brennan |

Sen. Lisa Murkowski is today one of the most widely admired people in American politics. She won that distinction by making a very unpopular decision, one that could cost her the Senate seat.

It seems strange that a person could be both much-admired and widely hated, but Murkowski chose to vote to convict President Donald Trump in his latest impeachment trial. And that has won her the hatred of former President Trump’s many supporters.

She had a choice between principle and politics and she chose principle. Former President Trump was way out of line when he whipped up the mob that invaded and trashed the American Capitol Building on January 6. And Murkowski called him on it.

Murkowski’s vote was not enough to convict Trump of the charges against him so he is still free to run for the presidency again four years from now. And Lisa may pay a steep price for her vote when Alaska voters go to the polls in November of 2022, if she runs again..

There are very few people in this country who have both commitment to principle and great courage, but Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski has both.

She is under great pressure now, but only because she has already made one of the most controversial decisions any elected official can be called upon to make. A lot of Alaskans will be angry about her vote and they may vote against her in the November election.

Murkowski called on Trump to resign and said that if the Republican Party cannot separate itself from Trump, she isn’t sure she has a future with the Republican Party. I’m sure she is talking about her own choice, but her rejection of Trump could obviously cost her the support of the party. And that would foreclose her future with the party and could jeopardize her re-election.

I’ve had mixed emotions all along about Donald Trump as our president. I have been entertained by many of his actions, but consider some of them inappropriate for the president of the United States. And his tweets on Jan. 6 that whipped up the crazies who invaded our Capitol were inappropriate, embarrassing and downright dangerous.

While Trump may or may not pay a political price for his antics on January 6, there also exists the possibility that he could be sued for damages to the Capitol building and to the offices and individuals that were invaded and injured that day. Since the value of President Trump’s properties has declined with his political fortunes, his financial future could be problematic to say the least.

Trump can run for president again in 2024 when he would presumably be running against Joe Biden, who will almost certainly run for re-election.

Lisa showed great courage and I admire her for that.

19 Responses to Brennan: Murkowski showed great courage

1. Marlin Savage February 24, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Since my comment below wasn’t published, I guess the truth hurts. Maybe You can wait until this article is old enough that no one will see the post………….

Frank had no moral character appointing his daughter and lies a has no moral character for accepting a nepotistic position and also saying she’d support whomever won the primary and did not……

2. Angry Viking February 23, 2021 at 11:59 am

Well well well, look at today’s news Mr. Brennan:

The January 6th riot at the United States Capitol was planned and coordinated — and not a spur-of-the-moment attack — law enforcement officials in charge of the response told Congress Tuesday.

Former U.S. Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund, former Senate Sergeant-at-Arms Michael Stenger, former House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul Irving, and Metropolitan Police Department acting chief Robert Contee all testified that they witnessed incidents on January 6th that made it clear the attack was “planned” and “coordinated” days if not weeks ahead of January 6th.

These people came specifically with equipment. You’re bringing climbing gear to a demonstration, explosives, chemical spray – you’re coming prepared,” Sund said. “The fact that the group attacked our West Front 20 minutes before the event at the Ellipse ended – they were planning on our agency not being at full strength at that time.”

www dailywire com / news / capitol-riot-a-planned-coordinated-attack-security-officials-say

3. Marlin Savage February 23, 2021 at 9:26 am

murkowski displayed great lack of character by accepting her dad’s nepotistic appointment as did he by appointing his daughter. she lied when she said she would support whomever won the primary. So much for character………..

4. Tim February 23, 2021 at 8:37 am

I am a daily reader of Paul’s site for many years, but with this idiotic nonsense and outright lies, I have read a Brennan essay for the very last time.
    The only possibility that this isn’t a manifestation of insanity and dishonesty, is if it turns out it was intended as satire and I missed picking up on that.
    Only a diseased mind would actually believe the totalitarian Left’s lie that Trump “whipped up the mob that invaded and trashed the American Capitol Building on January 6”
    And with Lisa’s TDS and constantly aligning herself and voting with the Democrats, she has NOT earned the distinction of being “one of the most widely admired people in American politics.” Seriously??
    I do not know one single person who would agree with that. Not one.
    Someone please convince me that that line was intended as a joke, and was not written seriously.
    Good grief….
    Good grief…..
    Good grief….

5. Myrna S Wade February 23, 2021 at 7:28 am

The law providing that Republicans will hold a primary has not been changed.

6. Elizabeth February 22, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Mr. Brennan, although I admire your writing, read everything you write and agree with much, if not most, I absolutely disagree with you on this one. Lisa is not worthy of admiration. What I see is an attention seeker who is good at looking for the best advantage. For herself. I am so not impressed and have never voted for her, nor will. The entire impeachment effort was a violation of the constitution and instituted by those that really despise our country, consider themselves above the average citizen, and want to be accepted and included by the globalist elite. Murkowski is simply playing along to stay with that politically correct ‘in crowd’. She reminds me of a few gals I went to high school with.

Congrats for getting so much feedback 😉

7. Randy S. Griffin Fairbanks Alaska February 22, 2021 at 9:49 am

I wonder how Senator Lisa Murkowski would have voted in the Feb. 2021 impeachment trial, if Ballot Number 2 (ranked choice voting) had not passed in November 2020. But since it did narrowly pass, she will not have to face being filtered out during a Republican primary in 2022, because there will be no Republican primary. She will simply be 1 of the 4 candidates who will advance to the general election where she will get plenty of Democrat votes as well as some Republican and independent votes.

I’m glad that President Trump was acquitted in the Feb. 2021 Senate trial. If he had been found guilty for his speech in Washington D.C. on Jan. 6, it would have been a hammer blow against the freedom of speech and the right to assemble in a large demonstration.

Those relative few who trespassed into the Capitol Building and committed destructive acts (out of the thousands who attended Trump’s speech) are responsible for their own actions. They most certainly should be prosecuted for whatever illegal acts they committed. I’m glad that the federal law enforcement authorities tracked them down and arrested them. Trump wanted a peaceful and patriotic demonstration. Nowhere did he ever instruct any individuals to commit any illegal acts.

Those illegal acts of trespassing and destruction, completely sabotaged and derailed what Trump was trying to accomplish, which was to get the Congress to seriously and honestly focus on election irregularities that occurred in several states.

There is evidence that those who committed those illegal acts had been planning by themselves to do so, many days before the Jan. 6 gathering. Perhaps they thought that they could use the massive demonstration as a cover to do their acts of vandalism and disorder, and then melt back into the crowd.

On Jan. 7, 2021, President Trump gave a concession speech and also strongly condemned the rioters who broke into the Capitol Building the day before (on Jan. 6) by saying in part:

“The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law, you will pay.”

A bit later in his Jan. 7 speech, President Trump said:
    “Now Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20th. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power.”

However, the House of Representatives (under the direction of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi) voted to impeach President Trump on Jan. 13, 2021, even though he would be leaving office only 7 days later.

8. Angry Viking February 22, 2021 at 9:26 am

Brennan, you expose your willful ignorance with sentences like “Trump was way out of line when he whipped up the mob that invaded and trashed the American Capitol Building on January 6”.

Review the tape and hear the word “peacefully”. You won’t hear the word “destroy”. Try as you might it’s not there.

So Lisa “interpreted” the Constitution to fit her opinion? That’s not how it works. An impeachment is ONLY for a seated politician, ONLY to remove them from office. The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court did not preside. So in two ways she called for violating the Constitution. And let’s not forget Leahy as he sat as judge, jury and executioner over the impeachment trial, which is also unconstitutional.

Lisa voted for three subversions of the Constitution and you hold her up for admiration? Take off your blinders. Your confirmation bias has you blinded to reality.

The one true statement in the whole article was “she isn’t sure she has a future with the Republican Party”. Of that, I am 100% confident.

9. EagleOneAK February 21, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Murkowski ‘may’ pay a steep price for her vote to convict Trump? Brennan is obviously out of touch, completely. Don’t know how anyone could write something so blatantly false unless maybe Brennan is with the main stream media and just likes to spread fake news like ‘Murkowski showed great courage.’ Your headline should more likely be ‘Murkowski betrays Alaska and America’.

10. Tom Brennan February 21, 2021 at 6:30 pm

The key is to piss off the right people. My editor loved it.

• Angry Viking February 22, 2021 at 9:28 am

Language, Brennan. Families and children read this site.

• David February 26, 2021 at 7:02 am

Your editor might have loved the response to your article but I doubt if said editor agreed with you. Lisa is a horrible person and not admired. Certainly not by most Alaskans. You have been turning left for awhile now and this one will be the last article of yours I will read

11. Fergie February 21, 2021 at 11:30 am

Apparently the perceptive (sarc) Mr. Brennan is living in Mordor far outside of the world of Hobbits and, in the present sense, somewhere far out on an ice floe in the Bering Sea.

Could be that hypothermia has set in. They say that at the end as you are about to freeze to death, you think that you are too hot, or in this case, Murkowski is a hero.

12. Fishing for Food February 21, 2021 at 11:09 am

I think you meant, “most wildly despised politician in the United States today”. Nice try though.

13. R-Dubya February 21, 2021 at 9:57 am

Tom … REALLY??? When I think of Murkowski, courage is “NOT” even close to being in the same realm of descriptors. Upon further further thought, neither is … honor, duty, loyalty, or service.
    I too am a registered Republican, I vote the Republican ticket, and I find most within the GOP circle very disappointed and feel betrayed by Daddy’s Little Princess. It’s true, given her actions, every AK Republican should be disappointed in her and prepare to make changes because ‘we’ deserve better.

14. Gary Boracay February 21, 2021 at 9:54 am

One trick development pony…right or left.

15. Greg in Homer February 21, 2021 at 8:48 am

I must disagree with the author. In our household, Lisa Murkowski is the least admired person in American politics. I should also note that my wife, child and I are all regular voters in Alaska and we will never ever again vote for Lisa Murkowski.

16. RevBill February 21, 2021 at 8:41 am

Silly me! I had somehow come to believe that our Senators and Representatives were elected to serve our Alaskan interests.

17. A.M.Johnson February 21, 2021 at 7:36 am

How do you spell “RINO”? This is how.:
    “I’m a Republican and have been one for many years. For that reason I vote in the Republican primary for the candidate I admire most. But when the general election comes around I vote for the individual I admire most, and that can be either a Republican or a Democrat or perhaps something else.”